The only system that is broken is DTSC – a dysfunctional agency that is trying to fabricate a problem as an excuse to impose millions of dollars in fees it needs to bail out its fiscal mismanagement.
- Excessive fees are 100 percent unnecessary and would not achieve any net gain in protection of public health or the environment
- They will result in closure and/or dislocation of California recycling operations
- Well-paying union and management jobs will be lost
- Fees will kill off tens of thousands of jobs performed by Latinos, Blacks, Asians, especially in disadvantaged communities
- By threatening the metal recycling industry, DTSC itself poses a risk to the environment due to inevitable black market operations and because metal waste will end up in landfills – not recycled as required by law
- Labeling cars and appliances at a shredder as waste and shredded cars and appliances as hazardous waste has no basis under the law or in science.
- Labeling the metal recovery facilities as hazardous waste treatment facilities will create unwarranted concerns and stress for surrounding neighbors.